Sunday, March 30, 2014

Foz do Iguaçu

Rochelle came to Brazil last week. We made tentative plans to meet in Iguaçu on Tuesday. Iguaçu is 19 hours from Rio Grande and as of Sunday I hadn't made my travel plans... because I'm disorganized and never manage to plan things well, if at all!! I took an overnight bus to Iguaçu Monday night that totaled 14 hours. Those 14 hours were made less than optimal by the guy behind me who went to the bathroom every hour to smoke a cigarette. Casual… like no one is going to notice that you’re smoking in the bathroom and that the entire bus smells like an ashtray.

When I got off the night bus in Iguaçu (to a cloud of cigarette smoke) I checked my email and read an alert from Fulbright that a couple of ETAs had been held up at gunpoint on a night bus. AH! 

I met up with Rochelle, Arielle, and her med school friends later that day and we explored the Brazilian side of the waterfalls (cataratas). Everyone was a lot of fun and goofy and we had such a nice time together. Roche is always fun to hike with because we share a love for all of Earth’s little creatures. The following day we spent on the Argentine side of Iguaçu. We began at the top of the falls where it looks like the water is falling into the center of the Earth (see picture below). And the last day we spent at the Parque das Aves (Bird Park). Here are some pics! 

Tucan out in the wild




rainbow


The gang


Top of the waterfall, where it looks like the water is being sucked into the Earth!


capybara - the world's largest rodent
Brazil side


Roche & I soaked from just standing near the waterfalls

1 comment: