Thursday, March 13, 2014

Carnaval

I didn’t know what to expect from carnaval in Floripa. The only carnaval I've ever attended is Mardi Gras in NOLA.


Sunday night we took the bus from Lagoa de Conceição on the other side of the island to the Centro. We were packed in like sardines on the bus ride. About thirty minutes in, some of us started singing some Aventura and some old 90s hits. Next thing I know the entire bus has started a “I’m a Barbie Girl” sing along; the Brazilians not only joined in but knew every word and carried the performance! We pulled up to the Centro and the bus was rocking as we drummed a beat into the side of the bus and chanted “life is plastic.. it’s fantastic.”
We arrived to a performance midway through. I was just soaking everything in, hanging out, when I started to take in my surroundings a bit. Most of the ladies around me… were actually dudes! We rolled up to one of Brazil’s largest drag shows: “Gay Pop.”

Other Catherine, Rylee, Jake, and I went to the Tuesday night carnaval stuff too. So carnaval it seems is more of an observer sport here in Brazil than Mardi Gras is in New Orleans – where I feel like you get to participate with the people in the parade. I think it also depends on where you celebrate carnaval in Brazil. We were in stands in Floripa. It had been raining all day and not that many people showed up to the event. I got some pictures though!








Favorite outfit of the night


Samba couple killin it


No comments:

Post a Comment