Sunday, April 13, 2014

O Pôr do Sol no Molhes da Barra

A couple of weeks ago Luan and I and our new friend Raiane went to Molhes da Barra, which is a large rock formation that extends out into the ocean. Everyone in Rio Grande talks to me about Molhes so I thought it was time I check out these rocks for myself. On the bus ride there we passed Rio Grande's port. To see the port was an interesting reminder of how fast Brazil is growing industrially. Petrobras, Brazil's largest and semi-nationalized energy company, has a huge presence in Rio Grande where their main industry is building oil rigs. I just got on Wikipedia; according to wiki Petrobras is the largest corporation in Latin America in terms of revenues as of 2011... so wow. The port brings a lot of new people to the city and is responsible for the recent rise in housing prices that everyone in Rio Grande is always telling me about.

We arrived at Molhes to people doing some strange sport that I've never seen but I think it's kitesurfing - with a snowboard looking thing and a kite/parachute. We walked along the beach for miles and miles (oops I mean for kilometers and kilometers) and saw some cool natureza. The most exciting part of our trip was when we saw this adolescent gull grounded. We couldn't figure out why but the bird was having trouble flying but I was very upset that he would drown as the tide came in. I was wary to touch him though because when humans handle baby/adolescent birds, I've heard it messes up their scent and the mama birds will chase them out of the nest. Luan saved the day by lifting the bird with his flip-flops. Then we continued on and got some great pics of the beach and sunset. Check them out.


Molhes da Barra in the background


The grounded gull :(

Luan, the gull whisperer

Candid of Raiane

Pôr do Sol

No comments:

Post a Comment